Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption times [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

2011-06-09 14:14:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Encryption times [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: Steve Ellis <ellis AT brouhaha DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 10:57:03 -0700
Alan-

I've actually not used encryption, but certainly encryption will mean that you will get no benefit from whatever compression your tape hardware may be capable of--possibly doubling backup time right there, if you were able to keep your tape drive writing at full speed.  I do know that encryption runs on the client and, I believe, is single-threaded--I would expect that would at least account for a doubling of the spooling time, since the SW encryption will dramatically slow down the client.  If you are not using spooling, then it is likely that your tape drive is shoeshining now--which can dramatically increase backup time and reduce tape & drive lifetime.   Enabling spooling, if you are not currently doing it, may help, if the tape drive is shoeshining a lot.

If your tape library is capable (LTO4 or better, for example), you may want to enable encryption in the drive, instead of in SW.  If you can't use encryption from the tape drive, then you may even consider doing compression in SW as well--depending on your data this may (surprisingly) help--less data to encrypt, and less data to write to tape--but compression is also single threaded, IIRC, so that can easily also make things even worse.

Sorry I can't be more help,

-se