Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Archive function ?

2011-05-30 06:11:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Archive function ?
From: Konstantin Khomoutov <flatworm AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 14:07:59 +0400
On Mon, 30 May 2011 11:41:38 +0200
Jérôme Blion <jerome.blion AT free DOT fr> wrote:

> >> That's not true. An archive function would only delete files which
> >> have been archived successfully.
> >> Performing an "simple" rm will not provide the same feature. As it
> >> will delete any file.
> > I don't see a real problem statement here: a job backs up a set of
> > files defined by a specific fileset, and if the said job completes
> > without errors, you're safe to `rm' every file referred to by that
> > fileset.
[...]
> If a file to archive has been created after the files list creation,
> you will remove it without archiving it.
Well, isn't it just about not using `rm *' or whatever?

To present a real example: among other things, I'm using Bacula to back
up an ever-growing set of voice conversation records created by the
call-center software we're using. The job of archiving freshly created
records is performed once a day and it goes like this:
1) A "run before job" script uses `find' to create a list of files to
   archive--the list is just a plain text file with one filename per
   line.
2) The fileset resource for the job uses  the "<" notation to include
   the filelist created on step (1).  The name of the filelist is fixed
   so this works just OK.
3) A "run after job" uses the filelist to move the files just archived
   to another location on a filesystem.  Note that I could as well run
   something like `cat $filelist | xargs -n 100 rm -f` on the filelist
   instead of rsync'ing the files using it.
   Then in my case the filelist is renamed to include the job's unique
   ID and moved to a special directory, but in a simpler case I
   could just remove it.