Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Data Spooling and Drive HW Compression

2011-05-19 13:08:04
Subject: [Bacula-users] Data Spooling and Drive HW Compression
From: Bill Nolan <kb2yht AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 12:05:06 -0500
Hi All,
I'm a long time bacula adherent, and for the first time find myself stumped with a data storage problem, I hope someone on the list can help.
I'm running a fairly small site, HP 8x1 LTO3 supporting 12 clients for full disaster recovery.
One of my heaviest use clients  just moved to a new network segment, and was causing huge delays and poor tape performance due to a bad network bottle neck.

I re-enabled Data and Attribute spooling for all my clients, and the drive now happily writes out its large chunks and is no longer trying to chew up tapes.

But the catch, my average volume capacity has gone from ~760G to ~580G .... Where is the other 25% of my volume ?
I'm recording the same data, on the same tapes, but getting less compression.

The change was:
 JobDefs {
<>
  Full Backup Pool = Offline