Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Error writing final EOF to tape LTO-5

2011-05-10 13:20:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Error writing final EOF to tape LTO-5
From: Alex Chekholko <chekh AT genomics.upenn DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 13:17:17 -0400
The errors below are just straight I/O errors from the underlying
device.  Nothing to do with Bacula.  So check if those two tapes are
bad.  Check if that drive needs cleaning.  Run drive diagnostics on that
drive.  See if you can reproduce the problem with just, say, tar of some
files to a known-good tape in that drive.  If you can reproduce the
problem, open a ticket with Dell.

On 5/9/11 5:07 PM, lweinlan wrote:
> we are using Bacula on a Linux 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5PAE system, and have a Dell
> TL-2000 two drives (dev/nst0 and dev/nst1) autochanger. Bacula runs fine but
> we always encounter a tape error writing final EOF when using drive 1. There
> is an error message regarding the tape EOF, the tape does not fill up, bacula
> mounts the next tape, and continues the backup. The job finishes correctly.
> What is noticeable is that a part of the error message is identical
> (dev.c:1745 ioctl) and the error seems to appears at the same block (c:577)
> for 2 different tapes as shown below. The amount of data written to each tape
> varies before the error happening. I do not know if it makes a difference but
> just wanted to mention it. What could be the cause of this problem ?
> below are the logs:

09-May 02:59 saver-me-sd JobId 225: Error: block.c:577 Write error at 4:3 on
device "Drive-1" (/dev/nst1). ERR=Input/output error.
09-May 02:59 saver-me-sd JobId 225: Error: Error writing final EOF to tape.
This Volume may not be readable.
dev.c:1745 ioctl MTWEOF error on "Drive-1" (/dev/nst1). ERR=Input/output error.