Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] decompression when migrating from disk to tape?

2011-05-02 07:18:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] decompression when migrating from disk to tape?
From: Uwe Mohn <mohn AT gdp-group DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 13:15:28 +0200
Hello all,

is it possible to decompress the files on a job when it is migrated to tape?
The backround is: we want to keep the last set of full, differential and
incremental backups on tape for fast restore. As soon as a new full
backup is done, we want to migrate the last full to tape (differentials
and incrementals will be recycled without migration).
To save disk space we would like to compress the disk backups. But (as
also mentioned in the documentation) it would be counterproductively to
write compressed data to tapes with hardware compression.
Following the documentation the software compression is done by
file-deamon. When now a job is migratet to a device wich has set
"AllowCompression=no" due to hardware compression will the data be
decompressed before transferred to tape?
Is ist possible to achive this behavior?

Thanks a lot.

--
Mit besten Grüßen / Kind Regards

Jens-Uwe Mohn
IT System Management

g/d/p Marktanalysen GmbH
Ein Unternehmen der Forschungsgruppe g/d/p
Richardstr. 18
D-22081 Hamburg

Sitz der Gesellschaft ist Hamburg, Handelsregister Hamburg, HRB 37830
Geschäftsführer: Christa Braaß, Volker Rohweder, Clemens Steckner