Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Speed of backups

2011-04-28 14:46:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Speed of backups
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Jason Voorhees <jvoorhees1 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:43:17 -0400
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 2:38 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
>> /dev/mapper/mpath0:
>>  Timing buffered disk reads:  622 MB in  3.00 seconds = 207.20 MB/sec
>>
> That is a raid. But you still may not be able to sustain over 100MB/s
> of somewhat random reads. Remember that hdparm is only measuring
> sequential performance of large reads.

If it is a raid I cold be wrong about the filesystem performance being
the only problem. You can test if this is the case by creating a
backup of a single file that is 1GB or so to media that is already
loaded and see if the performance is closer to the network maximum.
Maybe test an already compressed file of this size versus a file
containing all zeros.

John