Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] sanity check on a distributed & local backup strategy?

2011-02-25 18:10:05
Subject: [Bacula-users] sanity check on a distributed & local backup strategy?
From: "dev001" <pgngw+dev001+bacula AT f-m DOT fm>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 14:50:37 -0800
hi,

to date, my backup strategy across many, geo-distributed desktops (all
Linux, fwiw) has been the usual hodge-podge of local & remote rsync
scripts, gui-driven LuckyBackup runs, etc.

having grown organically, it's now an unweildly mess.

Bacula's my primary 'contender' for a solution.

i've read through much of what it CAN do. certainly flexible, with
countless options ...

i'm seeking advice/opinion on whether what i'd like to do is a sane
application -- namely, every desktop being setup as both a -fd & -sd,
with frequent backups going to localhost & neighboring -sd, less
frequent  to local file-servers, and occasional to centralized servers.

my primary goals are: leverage existing assets, increase redundancy of
storage & decrease WAN traffic

atm, I'm considering a tape-less  environment, backing up only to
spinning hard drives.

in particular, with such an immense amount of cheap storage in each
desktop (2TB is nickels-n-dimes these days), and, tbh, most of it
unused, I'm considering doing 'frequent' backups from one machine to
numerous others within a given "single office" workgroup, followed,
perhaps by immediate or otherwise scheduled CopyJobs, by additional
backup to centralize, global storage.

chatting in #bacula, i gather that there's no harm, no foul
(functionally, technically, etc) with each machine being both an fd & an
sd, just with the common-sense admonition to think it through 1st.

Sanity check?

thanks.