Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Running bacula backup jobs concurrently

2011-02-25 08:24:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Running bacula backup jobs concurrently
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Igor Zinovik <zinovik.igor AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:22:01 -0500
2011/2/25 Igor Zinovik <zinovik.igor AT gmail DOT com>:
>  Hello.
>
> I'm using bacula 5.0.3 since november 2010.  Now i'm facing
> problem with my backup jobs.  We have a mail server that
> also runs bacula-fd and i have to backup it, but this
> computer has very large file system partitions.  Bacula have to backup
> about 310 gigabytes of data on full backup.  Right now i'm facing problem
> that full backup does not fit my Max Run Time which is 42
> hours (17280000 seconds).  On full backup mail server goes
> first and when doing full backup bacula started to terminate
> mail server full backup jobs and all other server do not
> have their full jobs started.  Of course i can lower its priority
> and crank Max Run Time to something like 5 days,
> but i think it is not right solution for my problem.
>
> And here is my question: how I can parallelize backup jobs execution?
>
> I have following setup: 3 pools for full, differential and
> incremental jobs.  Maximum concurrent jobs are set to 20 in
> bacula-{dir,sd}.conf, but when scheduled jobs are executed
> they run consequentially, one starts, then it finishes and
> another one is launched for exection.  All pool backup
> data is stored on NFS share which is the signle device that
> is connected to bacula-sd.  Why my jobs are not concurrent?
>
> According documentation (26.2 Concurrent Disk Jobs) jobs
> could run simultaneously, but in fact it is not.  I want bacula
> to write simultaneously into one volume, not in separate
> volumes.  Soon I will add from 5 ti 10 heavy loaded servers  with
> big filesystems to my current 9 client and I would like to
> backup them concurrently.
>
> bacula-dir.conf:
> director {
>  name = bacula-dir
>  dirport = 9101
>  queryfile = "/usr/lib/bacula/query.sql"
>  working directory = "/var/lib/bacula"
>  pid directory = "/var/run"
>  maximum concurrent jobs = 20
>  password = "XXXXXX"
>  messages = Daemon
> }
>

> jobdefs {
>  name = "job defaults"
>  type = backup
>  level = incremental
>  fileset = "Full Set"
>  schedule = "monthly cycle"
>  storage = disk-storage
>  pool = "full pool"
>  full backup pool = "full pool"
>  differential backup pool = "diff pool"
>  incremental backup pool = "incr pool"
>  priority = 10
>  write bootstrap = "/var/lib/bacula/%c.bsr"
>  messages = Standard
>  # 48 hours
>  max run time = 1728000
> }
>
> schedule {
>  name = "monthly cycle"
>  # Full backup on each even month
>  run = full February,April,June,August,October,December 1st sun at 22:05
> [...]
You need to set maximum concurrent jobs in the storage resource above
as well as where you have set it.

Also if you wanted a client to run concurrent jobs you need to enable
that in the client resource for each client in bacula-dir.conf by
setting the maximum concurrent jobs in the client resource.

> bacula-sd.conf:
> storage {
>  name = bacula-sd
>  sdport = 9103
>  working directory = "/var/lib/bacula"
>  pid directory = "/var/run"
>  maximum concurrent jobs = 20
>  heartbeat interval = 30 sec
> }
>
> device {
>  name = backup-disk-device
>  media type = File
>  archive device = /var/backup
>  label media = yes                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
>  always open = yes
>  automatic mount = yes               # when device opened, read it
>  random access = yes
>  removable media = no
> }

One single storage device that will restrict bacula to run only jobs
from 1 pool at a time since you can not load two different volumes in
the same device (even disk devices0 at the same time.

John