Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Some questions about bacula

2011-02-18 14:34:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] Some questions about bacula
From: Mike Hobbs <mhobbs AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 14:15:02 -0500
  Hello,

I'm a very new Bacula user and am looking for a little help.  My
experience for the past 10+ years has been with Amanda and Retrospect
and I've finally had enough of both (especially Retrospect) and I'm
looking to convert to Bacula.

I've download the Bacula source and built in on Red Hat 5.5 x64.  I'm
also trying to move to a disk-based backup solution and I'm using a
Promise Technologies VessJBOD 16-bay populated (or will be) with 16x 2tb
hard drives.

Without editing the config files to much I have done successful backups
and restores of both Linux and Windows machines.  So far so good.  I
have to say disk based backups and restores are FAST!

Some questions I have now that I'm ready to start customizing Bacula
more for my environment.

1)  Bacula, like Amanda, needs to be told what machine and file systems
to be backed up.  I understand that you add clients (jobs)  to the
bacula-dir.conf file.  This would be fine if I had only a few clients.
What do I do when I need to add 50 or 100 clients?  Is there a way to
auto-generate the list of machines and file systems to be backed up
every night?  On Amanda one of the programmers on staff wrote me a
script that basically pings all the clients and looks at them to see
what file systems are mounted, then it generates the Amanda "disklist"
file based on what it finds.  This is good because if a user decided to
change the name of a file system and doesn't tell us, the script will
see it and add the new file system to the list and we don't have to
worry about editing the disklist file manually..  Is there some way to
do this with Bacula?  I hope I made sense here.

2) Here is a quote from an email of what one of my co-workers would like
to do with bacula, I believe this is doable using "Pools" but if someone
could point me in the right direction.

"If we do a setup similar to Retrospect, then we want two sets of equal
size.  It should do each set for 6 weeks and it should continue doing
incrementals for the first set while it's transferring over to the next
set and doing level0s - assuming this is supported by bacula.  At any
time, we always have at least 6 weeks of backups but most times, we'll
have something between 6-12 weeks."

3) As I mentioned I have JBod unit with 16x 2tb drives.  I'm thinking 8
drives for the first "set" and the other 8 drives for the second "set".
If the about example of what my coworker wants to do is allowed with
bacula.  How many volumes would I want to create per drive?  And what
would be the max size?  I read a thread on the bacula-mailing list,
someone said you want 10-100 volumes per disk.  I'm not sure what would
be the best way to determine how many volumes I will need.

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked already or if I left out
any information.. I did search the list for a little while without
finding any results.

I guess I'm looking for some kind of disk-based backup strategy for
about 100 Linux machines with the possible addition of another 100
Windows machines in the future.

Thank you in advance!

mike