Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up VMWare ESXi / vSphere Hypervisor

2011-02-16 10:35:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up VMWare ESXi / vSphere Hypervisor
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:31:38 -0500
On 2/16/2011 6:30 AM, J. Echter wrote:
> Am 16.02.2011 03:59, schrieb Randy Katz:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a client who seems to want to build a cloud. Just curious if
>> anyone has installed and setup backups for
>> the VMWare ESXi or vSphere Hypervisor (same product different name as
>> far as I read) for Bacula. Understanding
>> this software does not sit on an O/S but is an O/S itself not sure how
>> it would be approached or whether individual
>> VM's/Machines would be backed up in this scenario. PS - I am already
>> familiar with Xen and OpenVZ installations
>> so referencing them in the answer would be great.
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>> Randy Katz
> Hi,
>
> im backing up my Virtual Machines as i would a normal box. There's
> also a script for backing up VM's, it's called GhettoVCB.
> http://www.virtuallyghetoo.com

Same here using KVM. I backup the VMs separately as I would a normal
box. A template VM is kept that has a minimal system with bacula-fd.
Restore is performed by dd'ing the template image into the VM image
(file or LVM volume), then booting the minimal system and running a
restore from bconsole just like a normal box. This is not much slower
than backing up a VM image, but without needing snapshots, etc. to
backup a live VM.