Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Running both full and inc backups

2011-02-11 14:32:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Running both full and inc backups
From: David Noriega <tsk133 AT my.utsa DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 13:30:11 -0600
I'm backing up our home directories, about 10TB. I haven't really
timed things out yet, so I'm not sure if a full backup would finish in
time. But its the schedule the boss wants.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
wrote:
> On 02/11/11 12:47, David Noriega wrote:
>> Sorry for showing my lack of understanding.
>
> Everyone has to start learning somewhere.  :)
>
>> Anyways thanks for the
>> insight, but now I'm stuck on the scheduler syntax. If I want to run a
>> full backup every other weekend, would I use the following?
>>
>> Schedule {
>> Run = Level = Full 1st Fri 19:00
>> Run = Level = Full 3rd Fri 19:00
>> Run = Level = Differential 2nd Fri 19:00
>> Run = Level = Differential 4th Fri 19:00
>> }
>
> That would work, except for months containing five Fridays.  If you're
> just concerned about alternate weeks each month, you probably need a
> "5th Fri" line, probably with an extra Differential.  If you want
> STRICTLY alternate weeks, with 26 Full backups per year, you need to do
> this a little differently:
>
> Schedule {
>   Name = "Alternate Weeks"
>   Run = Level = Full w00 w02 w04 w06 ... w50 w52 Fri 19:00
>   Run = Level = Differential w01 w03 w05 w07 ... w51 w53 Fri 19:00
> }
>
>> Also for running incrementals during the week, how can I have it not
>> run during business hours? ie incremental job starts monday and has
>> till thursday, but to be 'paused' from 9am-5pm?
>
> If your incremental backups run for *four days*, how big is your backup
> set and how long are your full backup jobs...?
>

> --
>  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
>  alaric AT caerllewys DOT net   alaric AT metrocast DOT net   phil AT
> co.ordinate DOT org
>         Renaissance Man, Unix ronin, Perl hacker, Free Stater
>                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.

Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities,
we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college!
You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private
sector. They expect results. -Ray Ghostbusters