Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] usb LTO4/5 tape

2011-02-10 13:08:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] usb LTO4/5 tape
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:05:32 +0000
Phil Stracchino wrote:

> (Footnote:  LTO technology is now planned to extend out to LTO8, with
> native uncompressed capacity of 12.8TB and transfer rate of 472MB/s.

I'm wondering what the native capacity of the next generation LTOs will
be, what with Oracle announcing 5Tb native capacity format in its
Storagtek range in the last few weeks
(http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/31/oracke_t10000_c/) and 10Tb
"coming real soon now" - plus IBM talking about 35Tb soon.

Perhaps LTO6,7 will be skipped.

>  No word on what interface is going to be required to accomplish a sustained
> transfer rate of almost half a gigabyte per second.  Direct PCI-Express
> connection...?)

8Gb/s FC will keep up, there are 10 and 20Gb/s interface standards too,

SAS might struggle a bit though. ;)

These kinds of speeds and capacities might well be utter overkill for
backups but they fall perfectly into a need I have here for LTFS-style work.