Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] TLS and PKI, How to limit de encryption overhead ?

2011-01-31 06:18:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] TLS and PKI, How to limit de encryption overhead ?
From: Morty Abzug <morty AT frakir DOT org>
To: Hugo Letemplier <hugo.let.35 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 06:01:54 -0500
On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:52:20AM +0100, Hugo Letemplier wrote:
> Hi
> I am Implementing Bacula and I have to cypher the backed up data.
> Also I don't want that the console and client authentication to be
> done clearly over the network.
> I want to implement TLS but data are already cyphered via PKI so it
> will create a cpu consumption overhead.
> Can I configure bacula to use TLS only to authenticate client and
> eventually sign data ?

If I understand correctly, bacula uses cram-md5 authentication.  So
even without TLS, you aren't doing authentication in the clear.  If
your security goals are to encrypt the data via PKI and have encrypted
authentication, you don't need TLS.

[I know it's an old email, but I didn't see anyone raising this issue
directly]

- Morty