Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What does VolStatus = Error mean?

2011-01-27 11:17:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What does VolStatus = Error mean?
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:15:27 -0500
On 1/27/2011 4:19 AM, ml ml wrote:

>>> What does VolStatus = Error mean? I might have restarted my Storage
>>> Deamon whilst a Backup run was in progress. That might haved caused
>>> the error.
>>> However, since i am using Autolabeling, i am running out of Volumes.
>>> Are the Volumes now useless? If yes, how can i (over)write them again?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mario
>>>

>> One of the benefits to upgrading to version 5.0.3 is that now when bacula
>> sees that the tape has one more volfile than the catalog it will simply
>> increment the catalog entry for that tape and continue using the tape.
>> Previous versions marked the tape as error and then bacula never appends or
>> recycles it.
>>
>> Upgrade and this pain will go away for you.  :)
>

> Hmm..but i am already using Bacula 5.0.3 :)
>
> Cheers,
> Mario

What I was referring to was when it would find that the count of volume
files on the tape doesn't match the number stored in the catalog.

However, now that you mention it, I have also seen it where I get some sort
of a kernel error or scsi error (mostly due to the drive needing cleaning I
think) and then bacula marks the tape as status "Error" with a message of
something like can't find end of data.  In those cases, change the status
to Full or Used and let it recycle the tape (or volume if you're using
bacula on disk) after the data on it expires and you'll be able to re-use it.

Now that I think about it... if you're using volumes on disk what would
really be handy would be a bacula volume repair utility, similar to how zip
files can be fixed if the have a small amount of data corruption.  Of
course you'd still be likely suffering some data loss but it would be nice
to be able to fix the volume table of contents, delete the stuff that's not
very useful, and then mark the volume with status Append in some automated
fashion.  Note that I'm not asking for this--I only use tapes-- but I could
see it as something somebody else might find useful at some point.