Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs + autochanger

2011-01-26 16:56:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] concurrent jobs + autochanger
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:29:59 -0500
> Hello,
> I'm completely lost regarding the Maximum Concurrent Jobs directive on
> multiple places.
>
> First, my setup:
> -Autochanger, about 70 slots
> -2 LTO4 Drives inside autochanger
> -2 backup Pools defined, and a Scratch pool. pool1 used by Job1 for unix
> clients,  pool2 used by Job2 and Job3 for windows clients.
>
> What I want, is for those LTO 2 drives writing the jobs concurrently,
> without specifying exact job-device mapping. Right now I cannot do this,
> all jobs are written to the 1st drive sequentially.
> All Jobs use the "Autochanger" device, not the drives themselves.
>
> I Have "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 2" to the Director {} in bacula-dir
> I Have "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20" to the Storage{} in baclula-sd
>
> Should I use the "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 2" on the Autochanger or on
> the LTO drives?
> Should I use the "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1" on each LTO Device{} ?
>
> Thank you
> -Spiros

Spiros,

There's been a new directive added in recent versions.
In the bacula-sd.conf file, you can now add
Maximum Concurrent Jobs = <some number>

I use 6, but your mileage may vary.  Here's the section of the manual where
it's been described:

http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/New_Features_in_5_0_0.html#SECTION00510000000000000000

Here's how I've found it to work.  If you set that number to be 2, and you
have more than 2 jobs running, the first two will be assigned to the 1st
device, etc. There's more to it than that so you'll want to watch how it
behaves.  Remember that you have to restart the storage daemon whenever you
change it's config file--you can't re-load it.

Here's a snippet of my bacula-sd file that shows it in the Device section.

Autochanger {
   Name = Dell-PV136T
   Device = IBMLTO2-1, IBMLTO2-2
   Changer Command = "/opt/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
   Changer Device = /dev/sg4
}
Device {
   Name = IBMLTO2-1