Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Retention/recycle/purge settings for disk based backup

2011-01-26 08:49:26
Subject: [Bacula-users] Retention/recycle/purge settings for disk based backup
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:46:22 +0100
Hey

I've been working on gradually implementing bacula with all of our clients as the new backup solution. Usually we run a standard GFS rotation scheme to tape. However I've run into a special case today:

I need to backup our linux server to a foreign share on a different machine. The share can only ever contain a single volume at a time to save space. This volume then gets backed up by the sysadmin to tape. (out of my hands/control)

So my idea was to do regular backups with volumes in our usual Monday, Tuesday..., Weekly and Monthly pools, but remove the existing volume on the share with a script in a runbefore job. When emulating this however bacula will always look for the Monday, Tuesday, ... volume that was used the week before, as it's retention has expired, even tho recycling has been turned off. But this volume no longer exists on the disk.

Is there a way to tell bacula to create a new volume every time, yet still keep all the relevant information in the database so we can do day-restores up to a week ago, week restores for a couple of weeks, etc?

Current config:

Bacula 5.0.3, on linux, writing to a cifs mounted share (emulated with local storage though)

Bacula-dir.conf

Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycle"
  Run = Pool=MondayPool Monday at 9:00pm
  Run = Pool=TuesdayPool Tuesday at 9:00pm
  Run = Pool=WednesdayPool Wednesday at 9:00pm
  Run = Pool=ThursdayPool Thursday at 9:00pm
  Run = Pool=WeeklyPool 2nd-5th Friday at 9:00pm
  Run = Pool=MonthlyPool 1st Friday at 9:00pm
}

Pool {
  Name = MondayPool
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = no
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 6 days
  Label Format = "Maandag-"
  VolumeUseDuration = 1 day
}

Bacula-sd.conf
Device {
  Name = FileStorage
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /var/bacula2disk
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = no;
  VolumePollInterval = 5
  Removable Media = yes;
  Requires Mount = No;