Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Schedule / Restore Questions

2011-01-25 03:15:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Schedule / Restore Questions
From: Christian Manal <moenoel AT informatik.uni-bremen DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:11:43 +0100
Hi,

> Schedule Question:
>
> I know how to schedule a full backup then incremental and/or
> differentials within a month, say full backup day 1 or first sunday
> of the month and then diffs on sun 2-5 and incres on mon-sat, etc...
>
> How would one schedule a full backup every 2 months, diffs on sundays
> 2-5 and incrementals on all the other days?

I think you have two options here. The first one is to make your
schedule look like something like this:

  Schedule {
    Name = "EveryOtherMonth"

    Run = Full         on 1st sun jan at 00:00
    Run = Differential on 1st sun feb at 00:00
    Run = Full         on 1st sun mar at 00:00
    Run = Differential on 1st sun apr at 00:00
    Run = Full         on 1st sun may at 00:00
    Run = Differential on 1st sun jun at 00:00
    Run = Full         on 1st sun jul at 00:00
    Run = Differential on 1st sun aug at 00:00
    Run = Full         on 1st sun sep at 00:00
    Run = Differential on 1st sun oct at 00:00
    Run = Full         on 1st sun nov at 00:00
    Run = Differential on 1st sun dec at 00:00

    Run = Differential on 2nd-5th sun at 00:00
    Run = Incremental on mon-sat at 00:00
  }

The other would be to make use of the "Max Full Interval" statement for
the Job resource and omit "Full" runs in your schedule.

> Restore Question:
>
> If one desires a restore and there is data in incrementals,
> differentials and a full at the beginning. In the case of the incrementals
> and differentials where data is selected does it restore the latest
> version of the Jobs that are selected or?
>
> ex:
>
> /etc/resolv.conf backed up in Full then changed since, JobID 1
> /etc/resolv.conf backed up in Diffs, changed again. Last Diff JobID 26
> /etc/resolv.conf backed up in Incre, JobID 37
>
> so if I input JobID's 1, 26, 37 and ask to restore /etc/resolv.conf will
> it restore the
> latest version (from JobID 37)?

Yes. Though, it may depend on the order of the JobIDs, if you input them
by hand. But I don't know that for sure.

Regards,
Christian Manal