Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] conf file: Volume naming question

2011-01-24 19:33:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] conf file: Volume naming question
From: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:30:45 -0800
On 1/24/2011 4:17 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 1/23/2011 10:42 PM, Randy Katz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a different pool for each client and label formats different for
>> each so that Volumes are separate by name.
>> I have noticed that the numbering goes {lowest...highest} for all
>> ServerNames, i.e. if ServerName2 does a backup first then
>> it could look like this on disk:
>>
>> ServerName2-1
>> ServerName3-2
>> ServerName2-3
>> etc...
>>
>> Is there a way to get each ServerName/Volume name to cycle its own set
>> of sequential numbers?
>
> No.  There is just one counter.
>
>> Should I care about this? Why or why not?
>
> You should not care.  Because you have better things to worry about.
> You don't care about Volume names.  You never have to deal with them.
> And when you do, names don't matter so long as you get them right.
>
>> Here is a sample of the Pools, thanks in advance:
>>
>> Pool {
>>     Name = PoolName2
>>     Use Volume Once = yes
>>     Pool Type = Backup
>>     LabelFormat = "ServerName2-"
>>     AutoPrune = yes
>>     Volume Retention = 45d
>>     Maximum Volumes = 45
>>     Recycle = yes
>> }
>> Pool {
>>     Name = PoolName3
>>     Use Volume Once = yes
>>     Pool Type = Backup
>>     LabelFormat = "ServerName3-"
>>     AutoPrune = yes
>>     Volume Retention = 45d
>>     Maximum Volumes = 45
>>     Recycle = yes
>> }

Thanks Dan, I will run the course for a few weeks and observe how things
go then reflect back to the list.
I currently need to get an idea of Bacula performance, disk usage,
etc...from the initial it looks like the compression
ratio I am seeing is very good, the overhead and time it takes to backup
seems normal for my sample (about 7 external
Clients varying from 30-210 GB each). I did a few restores as a test and
that process looks extremely sane with more
options then most could imagine!