Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula User Survey

2011-01-24 11:08:35
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula User Survey
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-announce" <bacula-announce AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:08:50 +0100
Hello,

On 1 Jan 2011, I sent a Bacula Status report with a request for your feedback
by filling out a survey.

 For those of you who have responded: many thanks.  For those of you who have
not responded, the survey will remain open until the end of the month, and it
gives you a good opportunity to communicate directly with me about some
important topics.   To fill out the survey, just go to the following link:

   http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5CXJ7S3

The survey allow you to enter virtually any text you want to make your
comments, and it is all completely anonymous.

I thought you might like a bit of feedback on the results so far (more after
the survey is complete).

1. I was surprised how many of you appreciate the need for commercial support
by Bacula Systems.  No one (so far) has responded that Bacula Systems is not
at all important to the project.

2. I have purposely refrained from discussing Bacula Systems too much on this
list, because this is a community list, and I would not like to bother you
about the commercial aspects of Bacula.  However, I did receive a few
comments such as the following one:

    I realise that Bacula Systems is a necessary evil but at times I feel that
   3rd party contibutors may be put off because lots of planing seems to be
   done by Bacula systems. In practice I don't think there is a problem but
   just lurking on the -devel list makes it sound like that.

or others that said that they wanted to know what exactly is in the Enterprise
edition compared to the Community version.  At least one person believes that
the Bacula Systems plans are secret.

Answer:
Yes, I can understand those concerns.  Bacula Systems plans are not secret, it
is just that I haven't announced them on this list.  We openly discussed them
in the Bacula Developer's conference and will do so in the next conference as
well.  Since most people seem to want to hear more about Bacula Systems, I
will begin including something on it in the next status report (generally
quarterly).

3. One person requested that we stop putting features in the Enterprise
version that are not in the Community version.

Answer:
As of the current Enterprise release (4.0.4) there are NO features in the
Enterprise release that are not in the Community release (this will change
over time, see below...).  Our initial concept was to have full open source
and to make the source of the Enterprise available to everyone.
Unfortunately, with that fully open source strategy the first two years of
Bacula Systems generated losses.  We have realized that we must differentiate
the Enterprise version and the Community version.  Most Open Source companies
do this by becoming Open Core companies.  That is they have a free Community
version and a proprietary commercial version with more features.  Our new
strategy is to remain fully Open Source, but to differentiate, as other
companies do, what is Enterprise and what is Community.  Thus, a certain part
of the new development that Bacula Systems undertakes will be Open Source for
the Community version and another part will be Open Source for the Enterprise
version.  This strategy seems to be working.  In many ways, we differentiate
like Open Core companies, but remain full Open Source.

To complete the answer, today, Bacula Systems is putting some new features
into the Enterprise version (mostly plugins) that will not immediately be
available in the Community.  Those new plugins (Windows related) are
currently in beta test, and most of such features (such as Oracle plugins,
SAP plugins, NDMP, ...) are high end features needed by companies but not
very useful to most community members.

All bugs that we fix are fixed in both the Community and the Enterprise
versions, and I expect that over time many of the Enterprise features will
become available in the Community version.

For now I'll stop there, but there are many other interesting subjects.  I do
encourage you to fill out the survey, because it is an excellent way to let
us know what you are thinking.

    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5CXJ7S3

Best regards,

Kern