Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Very low performance with compression and encryption !

2011-01-20 11:15:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Very low performance with compression and encryption !
From: Sean Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:12:31 -0600
On 01/20/2011 10:01 AM, John Drescher wrote:
>> I've been tempted to experiment with BTRFS using LZO or standard zlib
>> compression for storing the volumes and see how the performance compares
>> to having bacula-fd do the compression before sending - I have a
>> suspicion the former might be better..
>>
> Doing the compression at the filesystem level is an idea I have wanted
> to try for several years. Hopefully one of the filesystems that
> support this becomes stable soon.
>
> John
(Oops, thanks - my reply was SUPPOSED to go to the list, not just to you
personally...)

To follow up, I think I WILL try out BTRFS with compression (with
client-side compression switched off) for some experimental backups and
see how it does.  Due to the way our backup system is set up
(continuously growing, with volumes stored on external drives supplied
by the offices who want to be on the backup system), the speed that the
backups can be done is becoming an issue, but we don't have enough space
to shut off compression and still have backups go back far enough.

I have been (bravely|foolhardily) using BTRFS as my primary filesystem
on my netbook, and on several other of my personal drives with no
problems so far, and I'm confident it's at least stable enough to do
serious experimentation with.  Once I've got it running I'll report back
on how it works.