Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SD Losing Track of Pool

2011-01-20 06:29:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SD Losing Track of Pool
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:27:52 GMT

> A couple days ago somebody made a comment that using pool overrides in a
> schedule was deprecated.  I've been using them for years, but I've been
> seeing a strange problem recently that I'm thinking might be related.
>
> I'm running 5.0.2 on Debian, separate Dir/Mysql and SD systems, using files
> on an array.  I'm backing up several TB a week, but over a slow 25Mbps link,
> so some of my full jobs run for a very long time.  Concurrency is key.  I
> normally run 4 jobs at a time on my SD, and I spool (yes, probably
> unnecessary, but because the data is coming in so slowly, I feel better
> about writing it to volumes in big chunks.)
>
> Right now I have one job actively running, with 4 more waiting on the SD.
> As I mentioned before, usually 4 are running concurrently, but I frequently
> see less than 4 but have never really dug into it.  In the output below,
> note that the SD is running 4 (actually 5!) jobs, but only one is actually
> writing to the spool.  Two things jump out at me here: First, of the 5
> running jobs, two are correctly noted as being for LF-Full, and 3 for LF-Inc
> (pool for Full backups and pool for Incremental backups respectively).
> However, all 5 show the same volume (LF-F-0239, which is only in the LF-Full
> pool, and is currently being written to by the correctly-running job).
> Second, in the Device Status section at the bottom, the pool of LF-F-0239 is
> listed as "*unknown*"; similarly, under "Jobs waiting to reserve a drive",
> each job wants the correct pool, but the current pool is listed as "".

The reporting of pools in the SD might be a little wrong, because it doesn't
really have that information, but I think the fundamental problem is that you
only have one SD device.  That is limiting concurrency because an SD device
can only mount one volume at a time (even for file devices).

__Martin