Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Volume space after Job returned Error...

2011-01-18 15:46:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Volume space after Job returned Error...
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:42:44 +0200
"Rodrigo Renie Braga" <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:AANLkTi=vLBszk=7e9f7AoeeqSsNy6B2VHaCVrfqciBqb AT mail.gmail DOT com...
> Sorry, actually the Volume is marked as "Full", not "Used" as I posted
> before...
>
> thanks...
>

> 2011/1/18 Rodrigo Renie Braga <rodrigorenie AT gmail DOT com>
> >
> > Hello everyone..
> >
> > I'm currently using, in my Tape Storage, LTO-4 Tapes (800Gb each). I had
> > a Volume on a specific Pool with already 100G of space used by previous
> > Full backups. After that, I started a Full Backup job on the same Pool,
> > which ended up using the same Volume (no problem there). Since the
> > Client of that Job was using over 1Tb of data, the Job filled up that
> > first Volume and started to use another volume (no problem there
> > either).
> >
> >The problem is, the partition of my PostgreSQL database was very small
> >and before that Job had a chance to end, that partition got 100% full and
> >Bacula couldn't insert any more queries. Hence, the Job was cancelled by
> >Bacula.
> >
> > My question is, all that space used by only one Job on the first tape
> > (little over 700G), will no longer be usable? That Volume is currently
> > marked as "Used", since Bacula started to use a second volume for that
> > Job.

Correct. That space won't be available until you some day recycle the whole
volume.

This may sound strange, or even stupid. However, your case is very
simplified: in general case there could have been several concurrent jobs
running (on of which then failed) and thus data from several jobs had been
interleaved. In that case it wouldn't any more look that simple to
"backspace" in the volume.

But you can freely purge the second (newly started) volume immediatedly, if
you didn't append other jobs (to be kept) after the failed one.

Regards,
Timo