Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Serializing catalog backup

2011-01-10 15:50:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Serializing catalog backup
From: Mike Ruskai <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 15:48:10 -0500
On 1/8/2011 2:07 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 1/7/2011 3:03 PM, Mike Ruskai wrote:
>> Right now, I'm backing up to a drive array with one concurrent job.  I'd
>> like to increase that, and really need to for a new backup environment
>> I'm creating soon.
>>
>> With the single concurrent job, getting a consistent catalog backup is
>> trivial - I just schedule it to run one minute after the last data
>> backup job, and give it the lowest priority, so it always runs after
>> everything else.
>>
>> How do I accomplish the same general thing with multiple concurrent
>> jobs?  That means the catalog backup needs to run by itself, so the
>> database is consistent, and needs to run after all other jobs have
>> completed.
>
> This is a FAQ (or should be listed there).
>
> Short answer: You do the same thing you are doing now.
>
> Long answer: run before script: run the dump program for your database
> and create text file.  Backup that text file.  Some people delete said
> file in the run after script.  I don't. I keep it.

I know how to backup the database.  That's not my question.  My question
is how to create a schedule, in an environment with multiple concurrent
jobs, that guarantees that the catalog backup runs after all other
scheduled jobs, and by itself.

So if I have three machines currently running a backup job
simultaneously, the catalog backup has to wait until they finish, even
if the maximum number of concurrent jobs is four.  Once they do finish,
and the catalog backup starts, no other jobs can start until the catalog
backup is complete.

Can this be done in Bacula, or do I need to do custom synchronization in
run-before scripts?