Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Recommended File set template for windows 2003? - and a Base Job Question

2011-01-10 08:49:28
Subject: [Bacula-users] Recommended File set template for windows 2003? - and a Base Job Question
From: Mister IT Guru <misteritguru AT gmx DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:45:50 +0000
I've just added up the amount of space required by running estimates on all my windows jobs. I was a touch should when it totaled up to just over  1TB. Now this is clearly too much data to synchronise offsite, so I am seriously considering how to reduce the footprint of all my servers, because seriously, it's pointless to use all my bandwith for backups.

Now, using a portable HD, would be find, and I surly would not mind a weekly round trip to the other side of the planet, so long as I flew with enough leg room, bandwith, and I could take my GF with me, that'll be great. (so, I'm basically saying, it's not fine to use a portable drive!).

I'm come to two conclusions, one that I have to tighten up my file sets, or make use of Base Jobs

Currently my file sets are

FileSet {
  Name = CDE-Windows
   Include {
        File = C:/
        File = D:/
        File = E:/
        Options {
    }
  }
}

So, I'm aware that I'm umm, over doing it at the moment! Which is why I looked at base jobs. Now, it would be great to no longer backup the OS, or have any of the OS files in my backup, but I worry what will happen when my base job expires, will that not make all the jobs impossible to restore? Any clues, hints, and tips are most welcome.

--
The Solo System Admin
http://solosysad.blogspot.com/