Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] FileDaemon Authentication problems

2011-01-07 18:23:36
Subject: [Bacula-users] FileDaemon Authentication problems
From: garrethmcdaid <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:39:16 -0500
There are lots of this threads on this forum about issues with your Director
authenticating with a particular FileDaemon.

More often than not, these involve posters suggesting networks problems etc,
and few if any offer concrete solutions.

I had an issue where I had a Director and 2 FileDaemon clients. All system were
built on the same day and had the exact same CentOS images.

However, the Director could only connect to one of the FileDaemons. Bacula kept
giving errors about unknown Directors and mismatching names and passwords, but
I couldn't see any errors in my config.

The solution? (Yes! A Thread with a solution!)

When I installed one of the FileDaemons, I had inadvertently run ./bacula start
before I had written the necessary bacula-fd.conf config file.

I had repeatedly run ./bacula restart after this, but here's the thing:
./bacula restart will only restart the last started process.

As such, when I ran ps- ef | grep bacula, I found that there were 2 bacula-fd
processes running on the system, one with the default config, and one with the
required config.

The Director was trying to authenticate against the former, and failing.

When I killed that process manually, and restarted the bacula-fd daemon again,
all worked!