Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] seeding offsite backups

2011-01-07 02:29:51
Subject: [Bacula-users] seeding offsite backups
From: Devin Reade <gdr AT gno DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 00:23:43 -0700
I have a situation where I have two geographically separate
networks, both of which are using bacula locally.  I'll call
them network A and network B.  Currently, (bacula) server A
on network A backs up network A machines, and server B on
network B backs up network B machines.

I'd like to (additionally) set things up so that server A
performs offsite backup for network B, and server B does the
converse for network A (for DR purposes).

The data in question is large, but does not change much over time
so incrementals are small.

I'm fine with taking an approach using virtual full backups, however
that raises the question of getting the initial (non-virtual) full
backup.  The quantity of data is such that I'd like to seed the
initial backup for network A on server A, then ship physical
media via a courier to server B, and import it.

I'm assuming that this is technically feasible.  What would be the
recommended method for doing the initial seeding?  Create archive
volumes on server A and then use bscan to import them on server B?

What kind of "gotchas" should I expect?

BTW, the two networks are under separate administrative control,
which means that encrypting the data (as well as encrypting the
communications channel) would be part of the requirement.  This
is already done in the existing setup; I just mention it for
completeness.  And yes, I realize that file metadata will not
be encrypted.

Any observations or suggestions are appreciated.

Devin