Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] job scheduling snafoo

2010-12-14 07:33:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] job scheduling snafoo
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:31:07 GMT

> hi list
>
> I had to do a full backup of our archive, which is about 5.5 TB big. I ran
> into
> some problems a few times, like the hardcoded 6 days job running limit, so I
> split the archive, moved one of the folders out of my backup dir and started
> the
> job. after that, I moved it back, and started the backup again, thinking that
> bacula will back it up incrementally. I was wrong about that, since it is an
> archive, so the dates on the files are all older than the date the last job
> was
> run. then I tried an "Accurate = on" on the job, but I got a lot of DB errors
> like:
> ----
> 10-Dec 13:20 appendix-dir JobId 80: Fatal error: sql_get.c:998 sql_get.c:998
> query SELECT
> MediaId,VolumeName,VolJobs,VolFiles,VolBlocks,VolBytes,VolMounts,VolErrors,VolWrites,MaxVolBytes,VolCapacityBytes,MediaType,VolStatus,PoolId,VolRetention,VolUseDuration,MaxVolJobs,MaxVolFiles,Recycle,Slot,FirstWritten,LastWritten,InChanger,EndFile,EndBlock,VolParts,LabelType,LabelDate,StorageId,Enabled,LocationId,RecycleCount,InitialWrite,ScratchPoolId,RecyclePoolId,VolReadTime,VolWriteTime,ActionOnPurge
>
> FROM Media WHERE VolumeName='BA1014L2' failed:
> server sent data ("D" message) without prior row description ("T" message)
> could not receive data from server: Operation now in progress
> ----
> I think they happened because the SELECT took a really long time (2.11min.)
> get the backed up files from the DB (lots of files, 3.22TB) and bacula
> somehow
> choked on the data.
> so, I decided to set "Accurate = no" back again, and touch all the files in
> the
> folder i moved back (1.9TB) to the archive dir to 2010.12.12 19:44. I then
> manually started a job this sunday at 2010.12.12 19:55. it completed
> yesterday
> 2010.12.13 at 22:17.
> my problem is, since it should be an incremental archive backup, I scheduled
> it
> to run on mondays at 06:66 AM, so the job scheduled itself again while it was
> running. it was a funny listed job, it kept throwing an error if I tried to
> get
> details, saying that I should try to list the jobs with the option
> "catalog=all". the manually called job completed successfully, but the other
> one, auto-scheduled on 6AM a day before, started just after that. now I
> canceled
> it, but it already wrote on 4 tapes (LTO2).
> I suspect it started because bacula thought that the touched files weren't
> saved, since it didn't yet complete the job.
> shouldn't bacula take the last file dates from when the job starts, not when
> [...]

It does take the date from when it starts, but I suspect the second job
started and was then suspended until the first job finished.  It doesn't
reread the date in that case.

>                what should I do with the last 4 written tapes? shold I now
> purge
> the files written by the job, or even delete the job? or just ignore it, and
> live with the fact that i wasted 4 tapes..
> I just want to bring the tapes to the bank and be done with it already :)

Yes, you can use the delete jobid command to delete the unwanted incremental
job and the purge volume command to make the 4 tapes reusable.

However, I would seriously worry about the integrity of the backup, given this
confusion about dates.  Consider redoing everything with two separate jobs and
two separate filesets, split so that the jobs are small enough to run in a
reasonable time.

__Martin