Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] keep a backup forever?

2010-12-13 14:23:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] keep a backup forever?
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 20:10:46 +0100
On 12/13/2010 06:41 PM, hymie! wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I've been using bacula 3.0.2 (server) and 3.0.3 (clients) on my linux boxes
> for a while now, and I'm very happy.  I'm using FileStorage with 200 volumes
> on an external USB disk drive.
>
> I had a machine die on me, and I had to replace it this week.  Bacula
> has been of invaluable help.
>
> Before I put the new (replacement) machine into the backup system, I
> would like to know if there is a way that I can save the last bacukp(s)
> of the original (now-dead) machine for longer than my 3-month rotation
> schedule, just in case.
>
> I'm not afraid of diving into the database, if the answer is something
> like "find the job(s) in the database and update the expiration on those
> jobs", but I might need some pointers as to what specifically needs to
> be updated.
>
> Failing that, if I were to store the volume files that contain my last
> backup(s), is there a way that I can, in the future, get bacula to reload
> the information off those volumes and retrieve data from the backups they
> contain?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> --hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie AT lactose.homelinux
> DOT net

You can put the status Archive on the volume, and normally bacula avoid to
touch it.
(even with dbcheck) but I would prefer to have a dev confirmation about that
one.

If you store your media, there's always a way to get back the informations on
it.
bscan, bls, bextract are the chapter in doc you want to read :-)

--

Bruno Friedmann (irc:tigerfoot)
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch