Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Migration Pools and Volume recycling

2010-12-04 07:26:10
Subject: [Bacula-users] Migration Pools and Volume recycling
From: Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer AT web DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 13:13:04 +0100
Dear all,

I am a long time bacula user (home network), but I have just subscribed
to the lists because I have a question regarding Volume Migration I
could not find any information for in the internet.

I have 4 pool configured in my system:

Pool {
   Name = DLT-Pool
   Pool Type = Backup
   Storage = DLT-Tape
   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically
recycle Volumes
   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes         # Use oldest Volume
   Volume Retention = 1 Year          # 6 month
   Label Format = "TAPE-"
   Maximum Volumes = 15                # 10 Volumes
}

Pool {
   Name = "DLT-Pool II"
   Pool Type = Backup
   Storage = "DLT-Tape II"
   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically
recycle Volumes
   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes         # Use oldest Volume
   Volume Retention = 1 Year          # 6 month
   Label Format = "TAPEII-"
   Maximum Volumes = 15                # 10 Volumes
}

Pool {
   Name = "FileFullPool"
   Pool Type = Backup
   Storage = "FileStorage"
   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically
recycle Volumes
   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes         # Use oldest Volume
   Volume Retention = 1 Year          # 6 month
   Label Format = "FileFull-"
   Maximum Volume Bytes = 5G
   Maximum Volumes = 14                # 10 Volumes
   Next Pool = "DLT-Pool"
   Migration High Bytes = 52G
   Migration Low Bytes = 47G
}

Pool {
   Name = "FileIncPool"
   Pool Type = Backup
   Storage = "FileStorage"
   Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically
recycle Volumes
   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes         # Use oldest Volume
   Volume Retention = 1 Year          # 6 month
   Label Format = "FileInc-"
   Maximum Volume Bytes = 2G
   Maximum Volumes = 18                # 12 Volumes
   Next Pool = "DLT-Pool II"
   Migration High Bytes = 34G
   Migration Low Bytes = 30G
}

This works great so far and runnning the migration jobs manually with
"Migration High Bytes" actually migrates jobs onto the tape pools. So,
the setup is working technically.

Now, my question: E.g. the FileFull Pool is set to 14 volumes à 5 GB
with Migration High Bytes set to 52GB. So if the 10th volume is half
full the daily migration job should put stuff onto the tape pool. What
if I have several Volumes in FileFullPool on state "Error" leading to
not using the full 5GB of these volumes? Volume recycling will happen
after 14th volume is full, recycling 1st volume also if this 1st volume
is not yet migrated to tape because "Migration High Bytes" has not yet
been reached?

I hope I could make myself clear, if not please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks in advance

Jan Lentfer

--
professional: http://www.oscar-consult.de