Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Using Copy Job to create quarterly FULL backups

2010-11-29 05:04:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Using Copy Job to create quarterly FULL backups
From: Paulo Martinez <martinezino AT googlemail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:00:12 +0100
Hi Dan,

Am 29.11.2010 um 02:40 schrieb Dan Langille:
> Tonight I was thinking how I want to structure my backups.  I'm
> presently backing up to disk and I'm about to running Copy Jobs from
> there to tape.
>
> Then I started thinking: if I keep quarterly FULL backups (a full
> backup
> done every three months), I would have more space to keep backups
> longer.  Let's assume those quarterly backups are kept for 10 years,
> which will require a new Pool with 'Volume Retention = 10 years'.
>
> But how best to achieve these quarterly backups?  My initial thoughts
> were along the lines of the classic schedule:
>
>   Run = Level=Full 1st sun at 8:15
>   Run = Differential 2nd-5th sun at 8:15
>   Run = Incremental mon-sat at 8:15
>
> but adjusted slightly for every three months:
>
>   Run = Level=Full jan apr jul oct 1st sun at 8:15
>
> This this quickly becomes complicated.

I am also thinking about the same setup (Full after a half year for
ten years).

I am just curious why "Run = Level=Full jan jun 1st sun at 8:15"
would become complicated?

Furthermore i thought about putting one Full backup at one Volume(set).
I am not sure if "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1" would accomplishing this.
Because the data could grow and needing a second tape. Or how to delete
the appendable flag of the volume? I read something about that but
can't remember where :-)

Thanks

PM