Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Unable to restore using different storage device.

2010-11-23 19:37:19
Subject: [Bacula-users] Unable to restore using different storage device.
From: brodie <brodie31k AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:34:00 -0800
Hello,

I am having issues trying to restore to a different client and storage
device then originally did the backup job.

In our setup we have 1 director, 2 clients and 2 storage devices.

I can restore fine if I run the restore job using the same storage
device that backed it up, the problem I'm having is when I take the
tape to our other site using the other storage device.

Essentially this is the procedure I am following
- Run restore job.
- Specify job to restore
- Mark files to restore
- Choose my restore job profile
- Change the client to the client I want to restore to
- Change the storage device to the device I want to restore to
- Run

It then starts the job but the job waits with the message "job... is
waiting on max Storage jobs".  Just to be clear this is the only job
that is running.

After having tried this same procedure over and over I finally noticed
that the restore job writes a bootstrap record. This bootstrap record
is written before the part where I can change the client and storage
device. This results in the bootstrap file containing the incorrect
storage device, even though I am modifying the job parameters and
specifying a different one. Is this a bug or am I not understanding
the use of the bootstrap file? How can it be written before the user
is allowed to modify the backup job parameters?

I have tried manually editing the file to reflect the storage device I
want to use, as well as deleting the file completely and seeing if it
notices. Either method result in the same "... is waiting on max
Storage jobs"

Any tips? Suggestions?

Thanks.