Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Need some Solaris advice - Bacula, MySQL memory leak?

2010-11-11 06:45:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Need some Solaris advice - Bacula, MySQL memory leak?
From: Henrik Johansen <henrik AT scannet DOT dk>
To: Mingus Dew <shon.stephens AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:42:26 +0100
Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I must have overlooked your post.

See comments below ...

'Mingus Dew' wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I recently upgraded to MySQL 5.1.57 from Blastwave packages. I then
>upgraded to Bacula 5.0.3 I read somewhere about a memory leak on
>Solaris and think I'm encountering it. I was wondering if this is a
>leak in Bacula, or in MySQL.  I'm running Solaris 10 x86_64 127128-11

Wow - 127128-11 was released 28/4 2008. You *really* should upgrade your
OS (liveupgrade is your friend).

>Basically, the system just slowly dies, less memory is available, the
>memory isn't released when I stop Bacula or MySQL and I have to reboot
>the box.

You can detect memory leaks with dtrace & mdb. Another easy way is to
ld_preload libumem.so with it's debug option enabled ... I am sure that
google can point you in the right direction.

>If its MySQL, I was hoping someone could point me to a fix or suggest a
>version that I can compile myself that isn't subject to this. If its
>Bacula, what is the recommended solution?

Use the offcial packages from mysql.com - they have the latest and
greatest MySQL version for Solaris in native pkg format.

>Thanks,
>Shon

Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Henrik Johansen