Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup fails when creating a large backup

2010-11-08 19:20:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup fails when creating a large backup
From: Peter Zenge <pzenge AT ilinc DOT com>
To: Primoz Kolaric <primoz.kolaric AT sinergise DOT com>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 16:52:22 -0700

For what it's worth, I recently split my DIR and SD boxes with a firewall (and
a very slow link, as it turns out...).  I was having all kinds of timeout
issues, usually with the connection from DIR->SD while data was being sent from
Client->SD (for many hours).  Heartbeats did not help, but changing the TCP
Keepalive timeouts (as mentioned in the FAQ;
http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=faq ) worked great.  I only set it on DIR
and SD boxes, no need to set it on Clients.  Changing it on the SD keeps my
Client->SD connections alive, while DIR keeps DIR->Client connection alive;
both ends keep DIR->SD alive.  Some of my jobs trickle in for 48 hours, which
is certainly not ideal, but we needed offsite disk-based backups of large
files...

Servers are Debian 5 (Lenny) running 5.0.2, firewall was Juniper Netscreen.