Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bad disk noises - replace the volume without restarting the backup?

2010-11-05 11:11:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bad disk noises - replace the volume without restarting the backup?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Mark Luntzel <mark AT luntzel DOT com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:08:56 -0400
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Mark Luntzel <mark AT luntzel DOT com> wrote:

>>> If there is a way to temporarily freeze a job (possible using signals)
>>> to prevent it from writing anything while using LVM to attempt to
>>> vgextend; pvmove; vgreduce; vgremove that physical disk could be a
>>> viable solution.
>>
>> IMHO once a job is running, the only way to stop it is to cancel it.
>> there is no "freeze".
>>
>> sometime in the future there will be the ability to restart a failed job,
>> see the "Projects" file:
>>
>> Item  1: Ability to restart failed jobs
>>
>> If you are not a coder, you could use
>> http://bacula.org/en/?page=makedonation to help getting it done.
>>
>> - Thomas
> That seems to be the general consensus. Thank you.

I caution that this method may not work as you expect. Being a
programmer myself, I know that nothing gets done quickly and thus
cheaply. I would expect a feature like this if you paid a professional
developer (who is not doing this voluntarily) to write code for the
task would likely cost > 10 thousand dollars US.

> Just to clear it up for some people who seem to be confused about the
> situation: I am not facing a data loss. The backup medium (a single
> hard drive) has gone bad. I did not want to cancel a ~8.8T run with
> ~400GB left on account of a single bad 1TB hard drive, but with no
> recourse that is what I had to do.
>
> Anyway, thank you all for your help in this matter.

I understood the problem. I wanted you to try letting the job complete
on the bad drive and fix the situation after the job completed. This
would only be possible if the drive was mostly functioning..

John