Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Deduplicating Bacula backups?

2010-09-27 12:57:38
Subject: [Bacula-users] Deduplicating Bacula backups?
From: Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy AT karlsbakk DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 18:54:45 +0200 (CEST)
Hi all

We're planning a Bacula setup soon with disk as the backup medium. The disk
space will be hosted by OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana on ZFS. Since ZFS supports
block-level deduplicaiton, at least theoretically (there are a few bugs aorund,
but they are rumored to be fixed - I'll do some testing before jumping into
it). I have heard some backup software (for instance BackupExec) makes backups
hard to dedup because it doesn't care about how data is stored. Other backup
software try to align data so that they are more easily deduplicated.

Now, does Bacula care about possible deduplication on the media side when
storing the data?

Vennlige hilsener / Best regards

roy
--