Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Exchange plugin with VirtualFulls ('truncating' logs)

2010-09-20 11:58:26
Subject: [Bacula-users] Exchange plugin with VirtualFulls ('truncating' logs)
From: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:58:07 +0100
Hello,

I am testing backups of an Exchange 2003 server, with the plugin. I have a
schedule of incrementals with occasional virtualfulls.

The idea being that, after the first real full, doing a full backup is no
longer required (unless I restore the whole Exchange database, because Exchange
then demands a full backup).

But, I have realised that the Exchange logs are never 'truncated' because
there is never a real full backup.
Looking at the plugin code and the documentation, the logs get 'truncated' on a
real full unless you give an option to the plugin for it not to happen.

As I understand it, this means that the logs will just build up and up on the
Exchange server.

Is there a way of getting the Exchange logs to 'truncate' when doing a
virtualfull?
Or does somebody have another suggestion?

Thanks.