Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Ideas for a backup strategy

2010-09-16 16:25:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Ideas for a backup strategy
From: David Noriega <tsk133 AT my.utsa DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:22:12 -0500
Its an idea, but not what I asked. I would have gone with a completely
disked based backup, but that kind of hardware is expensive to do it
right. I asked about multiplexing. I figure I could take /home and
break it down into /home/[a-k] or something. Break /home into say four
pieces but it doesn't look elegant(This is what I used to do on our
older backup system that used Symantec NetBackup), nor does it take
into account that some users use more space then others. I'm curious
if there is a way to break /home into roughly equally sized parts that
could then run simultaneously.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Richard Scobie <richard AT sauce.co DOT nz>
wrote:
> David Noriega wrote:
>
>> both drives and 2) has as much data as these drives can take pouring
>> into them, since this is taking too long to do a backup. I've read a
>
> One solution to feed your drives at full speed, is to build a low cost
> server containing an array of SATA drives, sufficient to hold all that
> you are backing up, and attach the library to it.
>
> Rsync the data you are backing up to it, and do your backup from this
> array. I have been running a setup like this to backup 11TB of
> uncompessible data to a single drive LTO4 library and it takes around 27
> hours.
>
> This also reduces the backup performance impct on your primary storage.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard

Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities,
we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college!
You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private
sector. They expect results. -Ray Ghostbusters