Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Status

2010-09-16 03:47:02
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Status
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: "bacula-announce" <bacula-announce AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, "bacula-devel" <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:43:24 +0200
Hello,

This is to give you a status on where we are with Bacula and where we will be
going.

1. Current version
2. Bacula projects update
3. Next version
4. New web site coming
5. New bugs database coming
6. Bacula Developer's conference

Current version:
Our current version of Bacula is 5.0.3, and it seems quite stable.  A number
of bugs have built up that we will be working on over the next few months --
most of them do not seem to be 5.0.3 specific but rather somewhat old bugs.
Unfortunately at the current time only Bacula Systems people are fixing
bugs ... it would be nice to have more community participation.

Bacula projects update:
I have updated the Projects list (in the main source directory), and normally
we would now vote on it, but given that most of our development is now driven
by enterprise needs, voting does not seem to be necessary at this time.  If
you are interested in the details of where we are headed, please try to come
to the Developer's conference where we will discuss it in detail and plan
what we work on in the near future.

Next version:
We expect the next version (probably 5.2.0) to be released in February 2011.
It already has significantly advanced with the following items:

 - Fix bug #1633 where Windows service was not properly removed with /remove
 - Make Bacula compatible with MySQL 5.5
 - Make SD automatically fix the Volume size in the Catalog when out of sync
 - Allow to run Verify job against any job (project 12)
 - Start FTP storage daemon backend integration
 - New prune algorithm to avoid orphan incremental/differential jobs
 - New CRC32 implementation (much faster)
 - Implement %f %b to get JobFiles, JobBytes in RunScript

Exactly what is in the next version depends a lot on community and Bacula
Systems contributions and they are not known right now, but judging by what
we see, it will be a very nice release.

New web site coming:
I have mentioned before that we are working on moving Bacula off of Source
Forge for a whole list of reasons (advertizements, blocking certain countries
from accessing Bacula code, poor upload, ...).  Work is now proceeding on
this.  We will surely be using FusionForge as the engine, so if anyone has
any experience with it, please contact me.  We hope the new project site will
be ready in October.  One of the features we hope to have is to allow
independent Bacula developers to create and maintain their own projects
around Bacula -- much like Source Forge offers.

New bugs database:
Due to a significantly increased Bacula usage by large organizations (thus
more complicated problems), the number of unfixed bugs has increased.  We
would really like to see more community participation in fixing bugs.  In
addition, we are planning a new bugs database that will be a much
more "serious" bug reporting tool (i.e. RT rather than Mantis).  We also plan
to offer an Enterprise Bugs fix service where users (companies) who want it
can get guaranteed response time and priority fixes for their problems.  The
new bugs database will hopefully be operational in October ...

Bacula Developer's conference:
I would like to remind you that we have scheduled our first Bacula Developer's
conference (for everyone) for the 27th and 28th of September, with a Bacula
Systems open house the afternoon of the 26th (Sunday).  We have more
participants than I expected (have reserved a larger conference room) and
have a nice list of speakers.  If you are interested, I am attaching three
pdf files that give you more details.  It is still not too late to sign up.
Bacula Systems will be offering the coffee breaks and lunches for the two day
conference.

Thanks for using Bacula.

Best regards,

Kern