Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Suggestion: order by VolumeName instead of MediaId

2010-09-09 14:21:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] Suggestion: order by VolumeName instead of MediaId
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 14:17:49 -0400
I have a suggestion that I figure others might also want but I figured it
would be good to mention it here to see if anybody can think of a reason
not to change the sort order from the list volumes command.

Currently when we do a 'list volumes' in bconsole, the records come back
ordered by MediaId.  For those of us running bacula with barcodes, the
MediaId field is almost never used.  Could the sort order be changed so
that it sorts by VolumeName instead?

I suspect there must have been some reason to sort by MediaId but I can't
think of it (however that certainly isn't meant to imply that it doesn't
exist).

It may or may not be worth it to add a configure parameter or .conf setting
so the end user can choose... barring both of those does anybody have a
concern about just changing the 'list volumes' query to order the volumes
by name instead of media id?

    Bob