Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Purge all previous incrementals and differentals when full is purged

2010-09-08 10:52:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Purge all previous incrementals and differentals when full is purged
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:50:13 -0400
On 09/08/10 10:25, Jon Schewe wrote:
>  When a full backup is purged, does bacula automatically purge the
> differentials and incrementals based on that full?

No, it does not.

> What do I need to do
> to ensure this happens? Is it just a matter of setting the retention
> periods? Can this be done with a single pool that holds all fulls,
> differentials and incrementals?

That's a good question, to which there isn't a simple answer.  For
myself,  I keep incrementals for only one month (differentials for two),
but referential integrity is a real (albeit overlooked) issue if you're
not keeping your Full backups at least one backup cycle longer than your
differentials and incrementals.

Even without the Full it's based on, of course, all the files in a
differential or incremental are still valid and still restorable.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.