Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Verify differences: SHA1 sum doesn't match but it should

2010-08-28 05:52:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] Verify differences: SHA1 sum doesn't match but it should
From: Tobias Brink <tobias.brink AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:25:02 +0200
Hello!

I run Bacula 3.0.2 (dir and sd) from Debian backports and bacula-fd
5.0.2 (Debian testing) on the client and I have a problem with a disk to
catalog verify job.

I make differential backups every week which get consolidated into a
full backup with the VirtualFull feature once a month.  Now I ran a
differential backup as usual but followed it immediately by a
DiskToCatalog verify job.  The only processes running during that time
were absolutely necessary things like udev and mdadm and I was logged in
but did nothing apart from checking bconsole.

Apart from the expected differences (bash history etc.) the job reported
"SHA1 digest differs" for a number of different files.  The files ranged
from /usr/bin/ contents to older MP3s in my home directory.  The files
also range in their age, some of the files where backed up in the last
differential run while others are much older.

So I checked the md5sum of the /usr/bin/ files against the Debian
provided MD5 sums and they matched.  I then restored some of the
offending files from backup, but diff showed no differences.

So I'm at a loss here.  Is my catalog corrupted or is this a Bacula bug?
Is there a fix or workaround?

Thanks in advance for any tips,
Tobias

PS: Is there a way to convert from Bacula's sha1 (which look like
"QGHMaXrQMew6S5MaBRVcgJ5S4LQ") to the output of the of the sha1sum CLI
utility (which looks like "c274a48e3a65f6b1e9e7a0103c4a7b522c8f5cd7")?