Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum concurrency

2010-08-23 17:37:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum concurrency
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:35:04 -0400
On 08/23/10 15:53, Proskurin Kirill wrote:
> 23.08.2010 20:05, Phil Stracchino пишет:
>> On 08/23/10 07:05, Proskurin Kirill wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> What we have:
>>> FreeBSD-8.0
>>> Bacula-5.0.2
>>>
>>> Backup on HDD. Every Job have they own pool and own storage.
>>>
>>> Most confusing thing in bacula after retention policy is a concurrency.
>>> What I need to do to make jobs not wait for previous to end? Priority is
>>> now work here.
>>
>> I'm sorry, your question is unclear.  When you say "make jobs not wait
>> for previous to end", what exactly do you mean?  Do you mean that only
>> one job is running at a time?
>
> Sorry for that.
>
> Real example:
> 1) 4 jobs start in one time with priority 10 - all them work at once
> concurent - all ok.
> 2) Then start jobs with priority 11 and it is take long time to end.

OK, that part is easy enough; no priority 11 job will start while a job
of priority 10 or lower is running.

> 3) In the middle of that job started another job with priority 10 and
> this job is wait previous to end.

You need this directive:

--------------

Allow Mixed Priority = yes/no
    This directive is only implemented in version 2.5 and later. When
set to yes (default no), this job may run even if lower priority jobs
are already running. This means a high priority job will not have to
wait for other jobs to finish before starting. The scheduler will only
mix priorities when all running jobs have this set to true.

    Note that only higher priority jobs will start early. Suppose the
director will allow two concurrent jobs, and that two jobs with priority
10 are running, with two more in the queue. If a job with priority 5 is
added to the queue, it will be run as soon as one of the running jobs
finishes. However, new priority 10 jobs will not be run until the
priority 5 job has finished.

Under the default behavior (Allow Mixed Priority = no), lower priority
(i.e, larger priority number) jobs cannot start while a higher priority
job is running, but ALSO, NEW higher priority jobs cannot start while a
lower priority job is running.  You want to set this to Allow Mixed
Priority = yes, which will allow higher priority jobs to start
immediately, while still not allowing new low priority jobs to start
while a higher priority job is running.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.