Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Limit backup speed

2010-08-13 19:26:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Limit backup speed
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Simone Martina" <smartina AT noc.skylogicnet DOT com>, "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 09:23:31 +1000

>   Hi at all,
> I got a trouble: a server of our server farm runs some perl scripts
that
> are bad influenced by Bacula backup.
> Until our developers will return from holiday (damn), I need to limit
> bacula speed.
> Our servers are connected by 100Mbps ethernet network, should I tune
> Maximum Network Buffer Size parameter?

100Mbps is not that fast and shouldn't place that much load on the
servers. Are you sure this is the cause of the problem?

Could you turn off compression? That would use more space but would
reduce load on the fd's.

If you can live with your backups running 10x slower, you could use
ethtool (or your switch) to set the port to 10mbits/second instead of
100.

James