Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula performance

2010-08-04 23:15:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula performance
From: rvent <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:28:27 -0400
Hello,

I am new to Bacula and so far i really like it.

I am testing Bacula and at the moment i am trying to backup to disk. Everything
seems to be working fine except that the file transfers from the client to the
server are not very fast.

The server's interface is a 2Gbps card, the client's is 10/100mbps, the ports
on the switch where they both connect is 10/100 so i know i am not going to get
anything faster than 100mbps. However, i am not getting anywhere near that.

I found out i was using the default "Maximum Network Buffer Size" so i changed
that to 100mbps or 13107200 bytes, however, when the backup runs it only gets
to 1489510.4 bytes per second. If i copy the same amount of data between the
same server using "scp" i get 11MB/s.

Is there anything i can check...?

Thanks, bellow are the relevant config files.

bacula-dir.conf

Job &#123;
&nbsp; Name = test1
&nbsp; Type = Backup
&nbsp; Level = Incremental
&nbsp; Client = client1-fd
&nbsp; FileSet = "wintest"
&nbsp; Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
&nbsp; Storage = File
&nbsp; Messages = Standard
&nbsp; Pool = Default
&nbsp; Write Bootstrap = "/var/lib/bacula/%c.bsr"
&nbsp; Priority = 10
&#125;

Client &#123;
&nbsp; Name = client1-fd
&nbsp; Address = client1.domain.com
&nbsp; FDPort = 9102
&nbsp; Catalog = MyCatalog
&nbsp; Password = "asdfsda"&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; # password for FileDaemon
&nbsp; File Retention = 14 days&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; # 30
days
&nbsp; Job Retention = 1 months&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; # six
months
&nbsp; AutoPrune = yes&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;# Prune expired Jobs/Files
&#125;

Storage &#123;
&nbsp; Name = File
&nbsp; Address = server.domain.com
&nbsp; SDPort = 9103
&nbsp; Password = "asdf"
&nbsp; Device = FileStorage
&nbsp; Media Type = File
&#125;

bacula-sd.conf

Device &#123;
&nbsp; Name = FileStorage
&nbsp; Media Type = File
&nbsp; Archive Device = /bacula-staging/backups
&nbsp; LabelMedia = yes;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp;# lets Bacula label unlabeled media
&nbsp; Random Access = Yes;
&nbsp; AutomaticMount = yes;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
&nbsp;# when device opened, read it
&nbsp; RemovableMedia = no;
&nbsp; Maximum Network Buffer Size = 13107200
&nbsp; AlwaysOpen = no;
&#125;