Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Newbie

2010-07-30 12:44:00
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Newbie
From: Tim Gustafson <tjg AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:23:21 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I just installed Bacula 5.0.2 on a FreeBSD 8.1 system with about 24TB of disk
space with the intention of doing my backups straight to disk.  The storage
array is configured using ZFS, and I've configured Bacula to make backups to
/bacula/FileStorage.

My question is this: the other day, I re-started the bacula-dir service in the
middle of a backup, and it seems to have corrupted the FileStorage file.  This
wasn't a big deal during testing as I could just whack the existing file and
create a new one, but it got me wondering about the resiliency of FileStorage
devices during a backup server crash.

Is there anything special I should do to make FileStorage devices more robust?

Also, is it a good idea to label a separate volume for each backup job?

Tim Gustafson
Baskin School of Engineering
UC Santa Cruz
tjg AT soe.ucsc DOT edu