Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula recycling volumes earlier than VolumeRetention time

2010-07-26 08:29:57
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula recycling volumes earlier than VolumeRetention time
From: Patric Buskas <patric.buskas AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 14:26:38 +0200
Hi,
I don't know if I've found a bug or if I just configured bacula badly or
did something else wrong.
I just found that a manually recycled volume was automatic recycled
after about one hour even though the VolumeRetention is set to 7 days.

Background:
On a CentOS 5.4 I'm running bacula 5.0.2.
Weekly, each friday night, a full backup is done to a file storage.
On the following sunday they're copied to a tape autochanger.
On friday, 1½ week ago, one of the first jobs stopped working for some
reason and blocked the rest of the jobs (why is it so difficult to
configure paralell jobs?!)
On the following monday I canceled the faulty job and let the rest of
the backups continue.
The volumes where then used later than normal.
This Friday, the same thing happened, the same job hang but I corrected
the mistake on Saturday morning.
This morning Bacula complained that it needed a volume.
I followed the instructions in the manual 5.0-how to re-use volumes
manually, ie with 'purge jobs volume' command in bconsole.
This I had to do with a few volumes so that the backups could continue.
After a while the old volumes had gone over the limit of 7 days and
started to automatically recycle the volumes.
Good, I thought, until I discovered that some recently manually recycled
volumes were automatically reused, and then used again.
I know this approach does not belong to the normal, but Bacula are not
supposed to do in this way ... or ...
Did I do something wrong?
Shouldn't I be able to recycle volumes that normaly is automatically
recycled?

Regards
/Patric

some parts of bacula-dir.conf:

--------
JobDefs {
  Name = DefaultJob
  Type = Backup
  Level = Incremental
  Client = adcsthbck1-fd
  FileSet = "Full Set"
  Schedule = WeeklyCycle
  Storage = File
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = Default
  Priority = 10
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
}
--------
Schedule {
  Name = WeeklyCycle
  Run = Level=Full fri at 23:05
  Run = Level=Incremental mon-thu at 23:05
}
--------
Client {
  Name = slu1-fd
  Address = slu1
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "XXXXX"          # password for FileDaemon
  File Retention = 30 days            # 30 days
  Job Retention = 6 months            # six months
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
}
Job {
  Name = slu1
  JobDefs = DefaultJob
  Type = Backup
  Level = Incremental
  Client = slu1-fd
  FileSet = WmC
  Schedule = WeeklyCycle
  Storage = File
  Pool = Default
  Messages = Standard
}
--------
Storage {
  Name = File
# Do not use "localhost" here
  Address = adcsthbck1                # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "XXXXX"
  Device = FileStorage
  Media Type = File