Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Problems with usage of Copy Jobs

2010-07-21 06:27:41
Subject: [Bacula-users] Problems with usage of Copy Jobs
From: Frank Altpeter <frank.altpeter AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:24:32 +0200
Hi list,

I'm using bacula-5.0.2 with a disk storage and a Tandberg 24-tape
changer system to backup about 130 server systems. The intention was
to do a disk based full backup once a week and afterwards copy these
full backups on tape. Currently, I'm using three storage devices
(FileStorage, FileStorageFull and LTO-4-1) and one autochanger
T24-Changer. Each client has its Client and Job definition, with a
Pool and a FullBackupPool defined. Additionally, there is one more Job
definition for the copy procedure, with SelectionType PoolUncopiedJobs
and the FileStorage-Full pool defined.

Well, my problem with this setting is (hopefully) mainly a configuration issue.

On sunday morning, all 130 clients are doing their full backup. On
monday morning, I'm starting the DiskToTape job, which then selects
all the full backups to be copied to tape. For some reason, there is
one full job with name "DiskToTape.TIMESTAMP" for each client running,
and additionally one incremental job with name "clientname.TIMESTAMP"
for each client running. This doubles of course the overall amount of
running jobs from 130 to 260, which then of course leads to problems
if there are some incremental jobs (from the usual daily run) still
running, which then blocks the tape copy procedure.
Additionally, after starting the "DiskToTape" job, I thought I would
get an email with the output of this job, but no, I'm getting one
email for every "forked" job, and every job output email has the same
subject because they all carry the variable expansion of the
DiskToTape job itself, but not of the forked job, which  makes it
nearly impossible to keep track about which backups have been written
to tape. Above double job behaviour also reflects in bacula database
where every copied job is entered as an additional incremental job and
not distinguishable from the other jobs.

So, did I miss something important in my configuration or is this
intented to be that way? Are there any hints how I could make this
setting a ltitle bit better?

It's quite hard this way, because since I've enabled the Copy feature
my backup system is not running reliable anymore (since sometimes the
copy jobs are blocking the normal incremental jobs which is bad bad).

Open for any hints.

Le deagh dhùraghd,

        Frank Altpeter