Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Throughput speed to SAS LTO4

2010-07-15 22:14:19
Subject: [Bacula-users] Throughput speed to SAS LTO4
From: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory AT campbell-lange DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 02:45:52 +0100
Hi. I'm busy writing a test 3TB volume off fairly slow storage on a
local machine to a SAS connected DELL PV-124T tape changer with 1 drive
and (I think) 8 slots. The local storage should be able to sustain well
over 100MB/s reads.

I'm running my test backup with GZIP compression enabled.

Currently I'm getting a throughput of around 10MB/sec to tape, which
seems pretty low. iotop is showing reading off disk at around
17-20MB/sec and one of the 8 cores on this Xeon E5520 (2267MHz) is
running at 100%. Hardware compression is disabled on the tape changer.

Are there any obvious ways to improve this? Does the problem look like
gzip, and if so is pigz (parallel gzip) an option?

Thanks for any help.

Rory

--
Rory Campbell-Lange