Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Update Bacula from 2.4.4 to 5.0.2

2010-07-07 17:32:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Update Bacula from 2.4.4 to 5.0.2
From: Richard Mortimer <richm AT oldelvet.org DOT uk>
To: stefan.schwarz AT gmx DOT com
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 22:12:43 +0100
Hi,

I did this exact same upgrade last week and it went very smoothly for me
(despite moving the database and director to a different server that
runs a different instruction set/architecture. Notes inline below.

On 07/07/2010 20:15, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 7/7/2010 1:40 PM, Stefan Schwarz wrote:
>> What are the steps to make this big update without loosing the old data
>> (on Debian-Lenny)?
>
> I would add:
>
> - backup *.conf files
> - dump bacula database to text file
>
> I can't comment on the rest: I don't use Debian.
>
>> - Install new 5.02 packages from debian-testing (backports)
Yes. Make sure you do the director machine and also any machines with
SDs on them. I actually ran one of my SDs with 2.4.4 for over a week
with no problems. However it wouldn't restore with the old sd and that's
what prompted/forced me to upgrade. Of course I wouldn't recommend that
you try it I was probably just lucky not to lose anything!

>> - Update all fd to at least 3.x-versions
I've still got some 2.4.4 FDs running here. They seem to do backups ok
but I'll get around to upgrading in the next few days.

>> - Update database with update-script to newer format (where do i find
>> it and does this script upgrade directly form any older version or
>> should i find the 3.x update-script and than the 5.x-version?)
I did my database upgrades manually but I think that dbconfig will do if
for you if you are lucky.

If you do the changes manually make sure that the director is stopped
whilst you do it.

The scripts ship in the 5.x Debian packages at

/usr/share/dbconfig-common/data/bacula-director-mysql/upgrade/mysql/3.0.0
/usr/share/dbconfig-common/data/bacula-director-mysql/upgrade/mysql/5.0.0

I just queried the existing database and checked the current version number

select * from Version;

and then ran the appropriate upgrade scripts from above.

>> - at least one Windows-computer is 64Bit (so to avoid the vss-problems
>> the director should be 64Bit too) could there be problems to switch from
>> 32Bit bacula 2.4.4 to 64Bit 5.0.2?

No idea - sorry. I've avoided running bacula on Windows machines so far.

Good luck.

Richard