Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Reschedule a VirtualFull?

2010-07-05 12:25:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Reschedule a VirtualFull?
From: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 17:26:44 +0100
On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 11:58:31AM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 7/5/2010 11:37 AM, Graham Keeling wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have a schedule like this in my bacula-dir.conf:
>>
>> Schedule {
>>    Name = "ScheduleX"
>>    Run = Level=Incremental mon at 18:00
>>    Run = Level=Incremental tue at 18:00
>>    Run = Level=Incremental wed at 18:00
>>    Run = Level=Incremental thu at 18:00
>>    Run = Level=Incremental fri at 18:00
>>    Run = Level=Incremental sat at 18:00
>>    Run = Level=Incremental sun at 18:00
>>    Run = Level=VirtualFull 1st sun at 21:00
>> }
>
> FYI: with this schedule you'll get both a VirtualFull and an Incremental
> on the 1st Sun.  Just saying...  To avoid that, you could do this:
>
>     Run = Level=Incremental 2nd-5th sun at 18:00

If I did that, I would risk losing data because I wouldn't be doing any real
backup on the 1st Sunday.

>> And a Job that looks like this:
>>
>> Job {
>>    Name = "JobX"
>>    Type = Backup
>>    Schedule = "ScheduleX"
>>    Pool = "JobXPool"
>>    Priority = 10
>>    Client = "ClientX-fd"
>>    FileSet = "FileSetX"
>>    Full Backup Pool = "FullPoolX"
>>    Incremental Backup Pool = "IncrPoolX"
>>    Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
>>    Storage = "StorageX"
>>    Accurate = "yes"
>> }
>>
>> I want to make sure that I get a VirtualFull every month, so I think I want
>> to 'Reschedule' it if it gets an error.
>> But I don't want to 'Reschedule' any Incrementals.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>
> The only way I can think of is to have one job for Inc and another for
> the Full.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I am a bit dubious as to whether it can really work like that.

If I came to do a restore (or the virtualfull), bacula would have to know to
group the source data, perhaps by client/fileset, rather than by job name.
Perhaps I just need to try it.

A second question:
What can I do in the case where there is a power cut on the first sunday? I
don't think that bacula is going to notice that a virtualfull has been missed.